Placing heatsinks in Raspberry Pi 4 help solve the heating problem and can enable you to run bigger tasks for longer time. Here you will learn about how to install Raspberry Pi 4 Heatsink.
In comparison to the previous model and the latest model of the raspberry pi, the set of heatsinks was just advisable and not necessary with the previous models. however, the situation has been changed with the latest raspberry pi 4 B model. here you will find that the CPU gets too hot under ideal and normal load conditions which are quite irrelevant and prone to the working environment of your raspberry pi. As you see in the raspberry pi case, the board is mounted in the closed closure, similarly, if the CPU is, then the CPU starts to choke consequently results in the lowering of the performance .so placing heatsinks on the CPU is considered to dissipate the heat. But if you are considering a closed case there is a very little or negligible chance for the heat to dissipate. Besides placing heatsinks, we also advise you to use a well-ventilated case.
You will need a kit that encompasses the aluminum heatsinks for the raspberry pi 4 B. For CPU [14 x 14 x 6 mm], for USB [9 x 9 x 5 mm] and [9 x 9 x 9mm] for Ethernet controller, all with 3M conductivity thermal adhesive.
Important : If you do not have an official Raspberry Pi 4 charger, you Pi can overheat even it can give raspberry pi 4 low voltage warning signal. So it’s very important to use an original Raspberry Pi 4 charger.
Raspberry Pi-4 Heatsink Locations
When we inspect the components which are getting a heat, we get to the following conclusion
1. The processor –a processor without heatsinks or any case easily reaches to the temperature about 60 degrees running at ideal which i9s a matter of concern for you. The temperature of the CPU increases to more than 80 degrees if it consists of a board in a closed case and a CPU loaded at 25%.
2. The USB – You will see a rise in the temperature of the USB depending on the type and the no. of USB devices connected to it.
3. The Ethernet controller – There is an increment in the temperature of the Ethernet controller to as your processor and the USB .so it becomes really important to place heatsinks.
Pic showing the placement of heat sinks areas.
How to Install Raspberry Pi 4 Heatsink
To Install Raspberry Pi4 Heatsink you need to keep your Pi and heatsink on the table and follow these steps:-
- Match the size of the heatsink but just putting it above the heatsink placement locations and see weather it fits perfectly, if yes then move on to step no 2.
2. Remove the Plastic from the heatsink.
3. Place The Heatsink on the Pi and do not try to move it soon let it stick.
However in this model from PiBOX India only two heatsink is provided and here is how I have installed them.
After installing heatsink on my Raspberry Pi, the temperature of the Pi decreased and it can run longer without getting overheated however if you want to run heavy tasks on the Pi you should consider installing a fan on the Pi.