Windows 11 is susceptible to errors as with previous versions. It will be clear whether glitches are more frequent or less common in the coming days. The black screen error in Windows 11 is a common issue many users have reported.
Although the issue seems complex and strange, it is most likely due to a trivial bug or loose connections. Many users also face black screen issues on Windows 10. We are not aware of any variations, but the causes and solutions remain the same.
Don’t panic if you are facing the same problem. We have the best solutions to solve your problem in no time.
Before we get into the solutions, however, it is vital first to understand the root cause of the problem.
What causes the black screen in Windows 11?
It is an important question to ask when trying to troubleshoot an issue. Troubleshooting is easy when you understand the root cause.
Below are the causes of black screen issues:
- Issues with the current build of Windows.
- Issues with the graphics card adapter or driver.
- Loose or incorrect connections.
- Problems with the hardware, most possible the monitor.
What should be your method when troubleshooting the black screen issue?
You should consider loose connections and a malfunctioning monitor first. They are most likely to be the cause of this inconvenience. The next thing you should look for is the following.
The methods are in the appropriate order. It’s more helpful to follow the instructions provided here for quick troubleshooting.
Methods to solve Windows 11 black screen issue?
Check for loose cable connections with the monitor.
- Before proceeding, ensure that the monitor is on and Make sure the power supply is correctly connected. If there is one, make sure the power light on the monitor turns on.
- Next, ensure that the connections to your monitor are correctly and securely placed. Unplug the cables, then firmly reconnect them. It works well for many users.
- In case of a problem with your monitor, you can connect a spare one to the system. After connecting the new monitor, if the black screen problem is resolved, you can have the old one repaired/replaced and then connect the new one.
- If you operate multiple monitors, switch the primary and secondary monitors to each other if used for display. Try changing to a single monitor if this fails.
Restart your System
- The system is non-responsive, so you won’t be able to shut it down or start it up usually. In such cases, you will need to press the power button.
- Press & Hold the system power button until it turns off. Wait for 5 minutes then turn On your computer again. After that, verify that the Windows 11 black screen problem is solved.
- Restarting the computer will reload the OS and fix any bugs causing the black screen.
Unplug all non-critical accessories
The black Windows screen you see on startup could cause by faulty or incompatible hardware. We recommend disconnecting all non-critical peripherals and gadgets, leaving only the monitor, mouse, and keyboard connected.
- Restart the computer after removing the peripherals. If the problem persists, you can check that the issue has been resolved. It will likely fix the black screen on Windows 11 before you log in.
- To determine if the system is working normally, disconnect the peripherals one while and then restart the computer. Replace the defective device with one compatible with your system once identified.
- If the black screen problem persists, unplug any non-critical accessories until you find a solution.
Reset the graphics adapter
The computer’s graphics adapter is crucial to its operation. If it fails, the black screen problem in Windows 11 may occur. The easiest way to fix this is to reset your adapter.
- Press Win + Ctrl + Shift + B to reset the graphics adapter. A slight beep will be followed by flashing on the screen. It is an indicator that the reset was successful.
- Check if the display is visible. If the problem persists, you can try the next method.
Change the projections settings.
- Press Windows key + P to cast the projection modes.
- Navigate through them using the cursor keys and hit Enter key to choose one.
- Windows has several projection modes. If you pick the faulty one, it could cause the Windows 11 black screen problem.
- Keep scrolling down the list of modes until you find the best one. Although it may take some time, your black screen problem will disappear once you have the proper settings.
Check if the graphics card is suitably installed.
Suppose you face the problem after replacing or upgrading the graphics card. In that case, there’s a possibility that the graphics card is not correctly installed.
To eliminate problems, make sure you install the graphics card securely. If you don’t know much about the hardware, we recommend seeking professional assistance.
Clean the hardware and examine the defects
Dust can be a significant threat to your computer. Dust buildup can occur over time and impact the functionality of your computer. One of the side effects is the black screen problem.
- We recommend removing the CPU case screw and cleaning all components. Be gentle with them as force can cause damage to fragile parts.
- You should also be aware of carbon build-up in RAM. It is known to cause the black screen problem. You should also check for any damaged components and have them replaced or repaired.
- You can seek professional assistance if you feel uncomfortable doing the job. A minor error can cause a bigger problem.
Carry your System to a repair shop
We recommend that you take your computer to a repair shop if none of these fixes work or if you are uncertain how to remove the components. They will inspect each component, major and minor, and identify any issues. If necessary, they will replace or repair those that are defective.
Although time and cost are essential factors, your computer should still be in good condition when it leaves the shop.
What to do if none of the methods listed here work?
The black screen error rarely occurs. However, reset Windows 11 back to the factory settings. If the problem is not obvious, you can reset Windows.
- You can reset your computer by using a USB flash drive.
- You have no other option than to reset Windows 11 if this doesn’t work.
- These methods can fix the black screen that appears on Windows 11 at startup or any other stage. It is critical to do this to render your system useless.
- It won’t take long to solve the problem if you use the correct approach and follow the listed steps.Drop a comment to know which method worked for you. If you have any other leads, please drop a comment.