Each of us has faced some circumstance where we wish to connect the projector in the lecture hall or the chamber or have seen our teachers face problems with the dongle and VGA port to get it attached correctly. Many laptops don’t come with a VGA input port. So you must be thinking that what is the solution to this problem? In this blog, I would be telling you the steps to connect the laptop to the projector without a VGA port?
What is VGA Port?
VGA is an abbreviation of Video Graphic Array. It is a port which was available on laptops a few years back. These were the gold standards before the invention of the HDMI port. Now, what are the HDMI ports? I will tell you about that as well. HDMI has taken over as the gold standard for connection in laptops. Nowadays, laptops, consoles, or computers have HDMI Port instead of VGA Port.
What is HDMI Port?
HDMI stands for High-Definition Media Interface. It is a sole audio/video ally for transmitting uncompressed video and date of compressed/uncompressed audio from a source device of HDMI-compliant.
Problems due to VGA
It is an outmoded technology which is not used nowadays due to some reasons. The disadvantage of VGA is that it is not used in the modern era because it has minimal support for the higher resolution. This results in lower quality of the picture, which means that the picture quality can not be upgraded after a specific limit when you use VGA. It has one more disadvantage that the VGA cables can be broken easily and it starts malfunctioning,
Mostly all the laptops now come with the HDMI port and not VGA output. However, it is a very irritating task to connect your VGA port projector to an HDMI port. Most of the projector is still using the VGA technology to connect the visual input source in modern times HDMI. Or there are chances that you have an old projector that you need to connect to your laptop, which has an HDMI port.
HDMI to VGA adapter
If you wish to connect the projector to the laptop without the VGA port, you will need an HDMI to VGA adapter device. You can get them quickly on Amazon.
How to use HDMI to VGA adapter
Firstly, remember that the laptop should be powered off. Connect the adapter to the HDMI port of the laptop. Now, connect the video cable to the adapter from the laptop. And at the end, connect the other end of the adapter to the VGA port on the projector. But it would be best if you turned on the projector first before turning on the laptop.
How to use HDMI to VGA Converter-
HDMI to VGA converters are also known as a scaler. The quality that makes the converter different from the adapter is that converters send audio signals and video signals. The converters will also have a DC jack or USB cable along with HDMI and VGA ports. If the converter doesn’t have a DC jack, you can charge it with a USB cable. The cost of HDMI and VGA converters differ from $30 to $100. The price depends on the features they have and the level of professionalism you require.
Limitation of HDMI to VGA Connectors
I know HDMI to VGA converters allow the transmission of audio and video, but it also comes with some limitations. They will transfer and convert the video signals but does not support the conversion of the video resolution. HDMI supports 3820 X 2160 pixels at the max, but VGA only supports 800 X 600 pixels. Any resolution that is higher than that of the VGA supported amount will not be transferred.
An alternative to the same is using the substandard cable. A lower quality cable will lose video quality even more. When you are showing a slide, for instance, you are offering it from PowerPoint, it is possible that you might not observe the quality loss. But the loss of video quality will be more observable when you show the actual video clip, let say a movie clip.
Reasons to use HDMI over VGA.
The first reason is ease. It is a more straightforward way to transmit data between two electric devices. Nowadays, all devices have at least one HDMI port. It is always a better option to use one cable rather than using multiple lines rather than running between two or three different connection points on every device.
The best connectors for HD videos are components of HDMI. The connector converter requires one cable with a minimum of three connection tips. Many electronic makers are considering to add a component connection in their new devices. HDMI is a better option because it will give out the best quality of video and sound. It is also possible that component connections may not deliver a high-quality picture due to the new Blu-ray content protection that is built into the Blu-ray disks
Advantages of HDMI Cables
- Single cable for both audio and video.
- High definition video output.
- Available on almost all electronic products.
- Future compatibility is built-in.
How to Connect a Projector to a Laptop Without a VGA port
To connect the projector to a laptop without a VGA port, follow these steps-
- Power off your laptop.
- Connect your HDMI Laptop cable from the laptop to the VGA input to your projector with the HDMI’s help to VGA converter dongle.
- If you have an HDMI to VGA converter, you don’t need to connect the different audio cables from your laptop with the help of an aux cable, as the converter will be transmitting the audio on its own.
- But if you are using a standard HDMI to VGA adapter instead of a converter, in that case, you will have to connect a different audio input and output so that you can hear the audio.
- And now you are almost done.
- Power on the laptop and the projector, and you should check that HDMI to VGA is working, and you have a display screen on the projector.
Difference between HDMI and VGA
1. The general specification– Hot-pluggable, external, digital video and audio signal, 19 or 29 pins.
2. Signal Through Cables-Digital
3. Compatibility– It is compatible with DVI and VGA converters.
4. Audio Signals– LPCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, MPCM, DSD, DST
1. The general specification– Not hot-pluggable, RGB analog video signal, 15 Pins
2. Signal Through Cables– Analog
3. Compatibility– It is compatible with VGA to DVI and VGA to HDMI converters
4. Audio Signals– It requires separate audio cables.
I hope this was helpful to you. This step-wise guide for you and for making your day to day life easy. I hope my content was clear to you. For any query, do mention it in the comment box.
We are here to help you only.
Thank you so much for reading it.
If you have any issues, you can mention those in the comment box, and we will make sure to give you the solution.
More From Digital Dopes
- How to connect Raspberry Pi to Laptop Display
- How to Use Laptop as Monitor for PC on Windows 10
- Google Home Vs Amazon Echo: Choose the Best For You?